Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Korean logic....

So I have a few minutes of a break today, and I had a very interesting conversation with a co-worker. I just wanted to post this, because it still confuses me to a certain degree...

We had just come into the building from being outside on the walk to school, and it is freezing outside mind you, and my co-worker opens the window when we come in the teacher room to warm up....here is the conversation that followed...

Ali: "Oh, you don't have to open the window."

Co-worker: "No it is okay, you just came in you must be hot." (Why?)

Ali: But it is so cold outside.

Co-worker: Yes, but it is hot in here. ( really?)

Ali: well, the heater is on....

Co-worker: Yes, because it is cold outside.... (True!)

Ali: Why not just turn off the heater for a while?

Co-worker: *Confused look* " Because It is cold outside" (uh huh?)

Ali :"Ohhh ok" *confused look* (?!?!?!?!)



yes... I must be the wierd one..... Koreans also think if you sleep in a room with the doors and windows closed and have a fan running, you will die.... not sure I can explain that either.

Off to go sit next to the heater before my next class!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha...oh lord, this reminded me of living with Nikki. She just could NOT understand why it made more sense to leave the heat on 55 when you left the apartment than to turn it all the way off...I tried explaining to her that a) if you turn it all the way off, it takes more energy to heat it up when you get back and b) if you turn it all the way off and stay gone for a couple days...the pipes would freeze! But no, EVERY time I came back to our apartment...heat was turned to zero. No logic.

    ReplyDelete